Get Your Daily Dose of HomeScholar Wisdom

Homeschooling High School? Start Here!

Hi, I'm Lee Binz, The HomeScholar. This blog answers commonly asked questions about homeschooling high school.

Search a topic. Browse the Quick Links and Archives. Add a comment. Visit my website to learn about my Products and Services. Dig Deeper into some tough high school issues. Finally, shoot me an e-mail if there is a specific topic you would like to learn more about. Make sure you bookmark or subscribe to this blog because I update the content (almost) daily. Enjoy your visit!

How to Compile a Reading List

Colleges love to see a reading list from homeschoolers - but how do you go about getting a reading list? Obviously the easiest way is to have your student keep track of all the books they have read. I was never very successful with that strategy myself (nobody is perfect!) Instead, each summer as I compiled the previous year's work, I had to think of other ways to recreate the information. Consider these ideas:

  • Keep your library receipts - they often include the title of books you have checked out
  • Keep bookstore receipts and records from curriculum suppliers
  • List the books, audio books, and videos that you have required for your students to read, as well as reading for pleasure
  • Have your kids collect books from around the house, bringing you all the books they have read in the past year
  • Read book lists like these and curriculum catalogs to refresh your memory
Reading list from The College Board

Reading list from The Well-Trained Mind

No comments: