Get Your Daily Dose of HomeScholar Wisdom

Homeschooling High School? Start Here!

Hi, I'm Lee Binz, The HomeScholar. This blog answers commonly asked questions about homeschooling high school.

Search a topic. Browse the Quick Links and Archives. Add a comment. Visit my website to learn about my Products and Services. Dig Deeper into some tough high school issues. Finally, shoot me an e-mail if there is a specific topic you would like to learn more about. Make sure you bookmark or subscribe to this blog because I update the content (almost) daily. Enjoy your visit!

Are "Great Illustrated Classics" Worthwhile?

>>>>I was asked if using "Great Illustrated Classics" was a good idea...<<<<


I'm very familiar with those books, and I have actually suggested them for parents to use when their kids simply won't read college reading list material (which can happen for a variety of reasons.) They do have illustrations, which can help remedial readers but annoy older teens. I believe they are written at a 5th grade reading level. An adult reader can get through each book in perhaps 1-2 hours. The editing isn't in beautiful prose - in other words, they aren't that well written from a literary perspective. They ARE true to the story line, however. I really think a student will get a sense for the book by reading them, and that can benefit them. They just won't be getting the vocabulary or the "ear" for great literature.

A similar idea is to have kids read the GABB, "Great American Bathroom Book" which has a concise 2 page synopsis of great literature. You may be able to find that at Amazon. They don't have pictures, and it's meant for adults, so the reading level is more challenging.

Again, you don't get the vocabulary or the "ear" for literature, but you do get the story line.

Hope that helps!
Blessings,
Lee

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Lee,
I wanted to comment on these books.

We have used them a bit differently. Our very avid reading 3rd grader enjoys these, but in conjunction with the unabridged version. I will read the original and then he reads the Illustrated Classic. This has given him a great sense of being able to read the story himself, without it being too heavy. We also have been able to compare and talk about what was left out or how they might have worded things differently.

It has worked out really well for us doing it this way.

The HomeScholar said...

Debbie,

Yes, I always viewed the Great Illustrated Classics they way I did the Wishbone Series of books. My boys are older now and they bring Dostoevsky, Jane Austen and Shakespeare home from the library for "fun"! Your strategy will pay great dividends! Great job, Mom!

Blessings,
Lee