Get Your Daily Dose of HomeScholar Wisdom

Homeschooling High School? Start Here!

Hi, I'm Lee Binz, The HomeScholar. This blog answers commonly asked questions about homeschooling high school.

Search a topic. Browse the Quick Links and Archives. Add a comment. Visit my website to learn about my Products and Services. Dig Deeper into some tough high school issues. Finally, shoot me an e-mail if there is a specific topic you would like to learn more about. Make sure you bookmark or subscribe to this blog because I update the content (almost) daily. Enjoy your visit!

I am The Weakest Link

Although I took calculus in college.... OK, that's not completely true. I actually took calculus TWICE in college because I failed it the first time! Allow me to start again....

Although I have taken calculus repeatedly, I don't actually know any calculus right now. In fact, from the time my kids were in Algebra 2, I was completely lost. My boys both used Saxon Math with DIVE CD's for Advanced Math and Calculus, and we supplemented that with The Teaching Company course called "Calculus Made Clear." The boys managed to learn calculus without me. I watched them do the assignments. I smiled when they told me about complex concepts. I nodded wisely as they would work out tough problems, I observed them use the solution manual to work out each problem. I did everything supportive I could ... except teach.

I primarily added value by confiscating the answer key when I gave them tests, but they did great on the tests even without it. The hardest part was correcting their tests. I didn't even know what the symbols meant! Using skills I had mastered in Kindergarten, I just made sure their answers looked exactly like the answer key. They basically taught themselves Calculus! Unbelievable!

The upper subjects like Calculus and Physics can be very intimidating, but it IS possible. If you are facing an obstacle, whether it's upper math or whatever, be brave! You will be amazed at what your kids can learn! Give them the opportunity and see if they can fly!

Blessings,
Lee
--
The HomeScholar
www.TheHomeScholar.com

Help spread the good news about homeschooling high school. Please add my button to your blog and website. Get the code from the the upper right corner of this blog. Thank you!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee,
Just wanted to say that I've had the same experience as you with the Saxon/DIVE Calculus situation. I've never had calculus, so definitely was not able to teach it. But after so many years in Saxon Math, my boys moved right in to calculus using DIVE and did extremely well. My oldest took calculus in his first semester of college and made a 98% 'A' in the class. All without Mom knowing how to teach it. (Had to laugh at what you said about when the boys would show you their work! My 11th grade son still does that with his calculus - I nod and smile and say "you're a genius!")
I'm not sure if you promote certain home school products, but if you do, DIVE is definitely a winner. I have lots of friends who love me lots just because I introduced them to DIVE!
Thanks for what you do. Not enough people know that they actually CAN home school through high school. Personally, I couldn't do it any other way.

Darnelle

The HomeScholar said...

Darnelle, We are definitely soul sisters here! I find that everyone reaches that point in math when they can't teach it anymore, you know? The more I think about it, the more value I find in the fact that the kids TAUGHT THEMSELVES. Because in college, that's what it's all about, so it really made them MORE prepared. Our weakness is really a strength!

I do recommend DIVE CDs, but now there are even more choices for video programs as well. But we used DIVE very successfully.
www.diveintomath.com

Blessings,
Lee