Get Your Daily Dose of HomeScholar Wisdom

Homeschooling High School? Start Here!

Hi, I'm Lee Binz, The HomeScholar. This blog answers commonly asked questions about homeschooling high school.

Search a topic. Browse the Quick Links and Archives. Add a comment. Visit my website to learn about my Products and Services. Dig Deeper into some tough high school issues. Finally, shoot me an e-mail if there is a specific topic you would like to learn more about. Make sure you bookmark or subscribe to this blog because I update the content (almost) daily. Enjoy your visit!

Homeschooling High School Math Isn't Working

>>>>This is the second part of my answer to a desperate mom who lamented: "I don't think homeschooling high school is working!"<<<<

Now I'll talk about math :-)

Teaching Textbooks may not be working for your student. You might want to consider adding a tutor. It doesn't have to be a math professor or anything. Sometimes just another high school student who is farther along in math will do the trick. They will talk the same language that way.

I did give my students the answer key to their math books. I only took it away on test day. Alex rarely used it, but Kevin would use the answer key for almost every problem, sometimes almost copying it one number at a time. But you know, it ended up being like copywork when they were younger and would copy sentences. Eventually he "got it."

For extra problems, there are workbooks available for Algebra 1. They aren't expensive - maybe $10? You may even find them at the library.

Kevin "failed" algebra 1, because he was using a book that didn't work for him. We switched to Jacobs Algebra and he repeated algebra 1. He did MUCH better. Jacobs has wonderfully written explanations. Perhaps your daughter would learn better with WRITTEN instruction,
rather than visual instruction. Remember that Kevin is now studying electrical engineering - and he failed algebra 1!

For extra video help, you might want to look at The Teaching Company high school algebra (www.teach12.com) You can also consider using a different curriculum altogether - maybe teaching textbooks just doesn't match your daughters learning style.

It's possible to "pass" the SAT and ACT tests even if you aren't far along in math. Some colleges don't have a math requirement for entrance, so you can find those colleges if you need to. The most important thing is that you teach math at their level, and get some success before moving on.

I hope that helps! I feel for you, Marcia. I remember how scared and frustrated I was. And yet now Kevin is doing well in engineering school, and takes college math classes for fun! But I didn't "teach" him high school math. Don't try to "teach" Just try to get her to learn.

Blessings,
Lee
--
The HomeScholar
www.TheHomeScholar.com
Sign up for my free email newsletter (http://tiniuri.com/c/TD)

No comments: